8bitHealey's shop is looking empty - here's why.

On Facebook I issued the alert that my Etsy store currently has no 8bit quilts listed.
No need to worry, I have no intention of stopping, but the TLDR explanation is that I don't feel comfortable taking more then 3 months worth of commissions at a time and yet they kept rolling it. I plan on taking a vacation in February and so the only thing I can reason is I close up shop now so that my February is open! My store still has premade things available and I'll continue making pillows and pokeroses!
But I also wanted to write out the long version of it so everybody understands whats going on! At the beginning of this year, I went quilting full time and set out to sew 100 quilts in a year. I am making great progress on this goal (It is October and I've sewn 68 quilts) but I've also realized that's a near impossible number. I just can't make that many quilts a month in a healthy fashion. I am in no way burnt out - I still want to craft all the time, but I have no time to explore fun projects or personal projects without the customer orders falling behind.

And the customer orders have fallen behind regardless because they are coming in so fast. I don't want to disappoint anyone who likes what I do, but at the same time, I am a one person show. I get requests that are fantastical and challenging and time intensive, and I want to do then if only I had the time.

I haven't been exercising, or getting out of the house, or enjoying videogames, or crafting for fun because I have no time and I realized last night that its important to have balance.




Last night, I came across a cache of Lumpy Space Princess fabric that's PERFECT for quilting. I was so excited and then realized I have no time in the next 3 months to honestly work on it. I have the fabric I want for a new purse, but have no time to sew it. Pokemon has a new game coming out in November and I have very little time to play it. I'm not complaining. I'm thrilled that I'm busy, making money and getting to sew your holiday gifts - but I want to be fair to myself and you guys. The quilt shop will be closed down until mid February. I plan on finishing up Christmas orders and the extra stragglers that came in for January - that's roughly 25 blankets. Then I will focus on my own crafts and goals for the month of February.

Starting next year, this is how I will handle orders to make sure nothing gets too out of hand: I will take preorders in 6 blanket chunks and the waiting time will be 4-6 weeks. Once I sell 6 blankets - I'll deactivate all quilt listings until I make progress on what I already have before opening up shop. If someone is interested in a quilt during my closed down time, I will add their name to a waiting list and work on the custom design and they will get first dibs on the preorder spots.

If we were in talks about an order before I deactivated the listings, don't sweat - I'll be flexible in trying to still accommodate people. You know I love you guys right and I'm never going to stop quilting.

Comments

Popular Posts