New years, reflections and resolutions

I get the feeling from others around me that its pointless and lame to make resolutions - but I am of a different camp. No matter how long you hold onto the goals does not matter, but riding the wave of motivation brought on by a new year, month, day, or event is significant. If I feel motivated to inspire a positive change in myself, why should i bring it down with negative thoughts of how quickly it might end?

I hope to get into a more regular routine and that means daily things I want to work toward. If I could outline a perfect day, it would look like this:
Wake up aft 5-7 hours of sleep, have morning coffee and do a quiet and reflective activity while drinking it (meditation, reading, research). Exercise and shower. Craft work. Relaxing with family or friends. Sleep. That's not a difficult schedule to aspire to.

I made myself write up some daily reflections that I'd like to maintain in a book or maybe on Tumblr. Just somewhere to dump it to force myself to do it. These were the questions I brainstormed.

How do you feel?
What made you happiest yesterday?
What upset you?
What do you need to do today?
What would you like to do for fun?


I know a separation of work and play is important. My boyfriend likes to stress how much my crafts consume me and what makes me a very flat person to the people who would like it have relationships with me on a deeper level. I find it hard to change because I like cooping myself up in my craft room and working tirelessly on my never ending projects. Where I find myself thankful for such creative drive, others in my life seem weary and annoyed. As important as creating things are to me, achieving balance so that I can enjoy life with my loved ones has significance to me and I will work harder at it.


Personal resolutions for myself:
Healthy eating - I'd like to make more complex meals that force me to cook a wider variety of dishes from fresh ingredients.
Perusing hobbies - I like running, yoga, hiking, camping, gardening, reading, and video games a lot. So its ok to step out of the craft room and explore these other venues.
Bettering my relationship - I've been with the same partner for going on 5 years and we love each other. We also butt heads, act independently of, annoy, and dislike each other. I don't say this in a negative light. If you liked your partner constantly - or at least felt the pressure to maintain that constant adoration, you are denying your ability to be a person who feels and reacts naturally. I want to focus on my ability to love him regardless of what he does for me. I often fall into the trap of well if he isn't going to bother - neither will I. I think that if I stop trying to only match his effort and just be myself and once a day be mindful of his needs and do something out of the way kind - it will improve our relationship and help add an air of surprise. And this isn't exclusive to giving him things and doing things for him -  it could be buying myself new things to dress more attractively. Or just buying a surprise candy bar. Or suggesting a fun/free outing that we both could enjoy.


Business resolutions for 8BitHealey
3 Conventions - I'd like to up the amount I attend this year to three. Focus primarily on Pokeroses and Pillow cases but spreading world of my 8BitQuilts. I'd like to get a full table to spread out on and have shelves to build up and stack product on.
Limited Work Load - I'm going to only try and take on 6 quilt orders at a time, so that the clients are guaranteed a timely delivery once they part with their hard earned money.
Clean out Excess Fabric - I've been hoarding nerdy fabric and my room is a mess. I'd like to develop a set pattern of product to default to making with these fabrics (Pillow cases, tote bag, patch quilts). If I have scraps, I want to work toward letting go and getting rid of what I don't need.
Daily blog or vlog - I've been recording gameplay of Pokemon emulators and I'd like to either blog daily here about whatever, or if its easier - just voice over gameplay and talk about whats on my mind. I hope to develop who I am in a way where people can relate and also get excited about what I'm doing to propagate the business.

Wish me luck in 2015! And of course, I wish you all the best as well. What resolutions are you making?

Comments

Popular Posts