Took a week off to clean out the Fridge, now back to it! Happy February! Week 5.

Protein:
2 Pounds Ground Lamb & Beef Blend (2 meals)
6 ounces firm tofu, cubed
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Carbs:
4 Pocketless Pitas
1⅓ Cups Buttermilk Biscuit Mix (How to make biscuits with pancake mix!)

Dairy:
¾ Cup Milk
½ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
4 Tablespoons Butter
½ Cup Low-Fat Sour Cream
¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Tablespoons Grated Cotija Cheese (More of Cotija Cheese)

Veggies:
2 Ounces Arugula (I'm using spinach!)
1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and quartered
3 large carrot, chopped
3 yellow onion
11 Cloves Garlic
1 Pound Broccoli
6 Ounces Green Beans
1 Persian Cucumber
12 Ounces Cremini Mushrooms (buy button or portobello if not available)
4 Scallions
thinly sliced jalapeƱo
1½ Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
One 1 3/4-pound head of cauliflower, cored—one-third cut into 3/4-inch florets, the rest coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons coarsely grated fresh ginger
2 baking potato
2 Stalks Celery
1 Ounce Red Pearl Onions
1½ Cups Cannellini Beans
1 Butternut Squash
1 Poblano Pepper
1 Red Onion
½ Pound Tomatillos

Fruit:
1 Lemon
2 lime

Spices:
1 Bunch Mint
1 bunch cilantro
1 Large Bunch Sage
1 Tablespoon Lamb Gyro Spice Blend (Za'atar, Ground Cumin, Sweet Paprika, Ground Coriander & White Sesame Seeds)
1 Tablespoon Shepherd's Pie Spice Blend (Mustard Powder, Dried Thyme & Garlic Powder)
3 Tablespoons Squash Chili Spice Blend (Masa Harina, Chipotle Chile Powder, Ground Cumin, Ancho Chile Powder & Whole Mexican Oregano)
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
3 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Extras:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I actually am almost out!)
½ Cup Cornichons (What is a Cornichon?)
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
3 tablespoons white miso
1 Tablespoon Vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 quart vegetable stock
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
3 Tablespoons Chicken Demi-Glace
¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)


Recipes:
I made broccoli because C has decreed that cauliflower makes our house and fridge smell bad. Yummy recipe for lunch.

Sooo this was one of those meals that was so tasty that I ate it before I remembered to photo it. I enjoyed the mushroom and green beans in it and the only complaint for the boy was I should have made gravy, which I second the feeling. 



 This recipe was interesting because you use all the vegetable ingredients to make the broth and then it tells you to strain them out and discard. To discard so many delicious healthy veggies seemed sad, so I actually saved them and ate them for lunch over rice the next day. The turmeric was an interesting new flavor with miso that I enjoyed.

While a hit in our household, two soups back to back have dampened our fervor for the warm comfort food. I added shredded chicken to this dish. I enjoyed it for many lunches after this dinner, but C seemed one and done with this recipe.
Firstly, we LOVED this. There is definitely some tweaks I'd recommend, but overall A+++ 
C's feedback was it needed more biscuits. So I guess if I made it again, I'd cover the whole top with biscuit mix. What I did was make the biscuits from pancake mix and it added a sweet flavor to all the salt. I would recommend cooking the carrots and pearl onions longer so they are not so crisp.

Again, two soups and a chili is kind of a lot of heavy liquid meals in one week. So that was bad on me for this menu and I'd recommend stretching it out, but otherwise solid meal.

On to week 6!

Comments

Popular Posts