Shopping list for a week of dinner meals

I want to encourage my friends and family to eat better, so as I write a weekly meal plan up for me and C, I'm posting them public so others can improve their diets as well. I'll blog a little at the bottom, this is mostly a guideline to help mimic the food boxes sent out by Blue Apron! I love their meals and recommend buying the service if you can afford it!

Blue Apron grocery list (6 meals)
Recipe Links:


Shopping list:
Meat
1 Pound Shrimp
Sirloin Steaks for 2
4 Catfish Fillets
14 Ounces Ground Turkey (I used beef!)

Vegetables
2 Sweet Peppers
2 Beefsteak Tomato
1 English Cucumber
1 Eggplant
1 Summer Squash
3 Ounces Mizuna (I buy spinach)
1 Romaine Heart
3 Scallions
12 Cloves Garlic
1 Shallot
7 Ears Of Corn
2 Plum Tomatoes
5 Ounces Multicolored Cherry Tomatoes
1 2-Inch Piece Ginger
1 Red Onion
1 Yellow Onion
1 lbs of red potato
12 Ounces Summer Beans (2 meals)
4 Ounces Yellow Wax Beans (If I can't find these I'll buy more green beans!)


Fruit
3 Lemon

 Herbs
Bunch of Parsley
Bunch of Mint
Bunch of Thyme
Bunch of Basil
⅛ Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tablespoon Za'atar (combination with sesame seeds, suma, thyme, oregano and marjoram)
1 Teaspoon Togarashi (powdered/flaked red chili pepper, black pepper, sesame seeds, dried mandarin orange peel, green nori seaweed flakes, prickly ash pods, hemp seeds and poppy seeds.)
1 Tablespoon Steak Gyro Spice Blend (Dried Oregano, Sweet Paprika, Za'atar & Ground Sumac)
1 Tablespoon Crispy Catfish Spice Blend (Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Smoked Sweet Paprika & Dried Oregano)
1½ Tablespoons Sloppy Joe Spice Blend (Cornstarch, Sweet Paprika, Ground Yellow Mustard, Horseradish Powder, Apple Cider Vinegar Powder, Chile Powder & Celery Seeds)

Bread
Pita pack
Hamburger Buns

Grain
1 Cup Bulgur Wheat (think Whole Foods like store to buy – cost me 50 cents)

Noodles
1½ Pounds Fresh Ramen Noodles
½ Pound Whole Grain Spaghetti

Dairy
1 Cup Low-Fat, Plain Greek Yogurt (two meals)
½ Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
2 Tablespoons Mascarpone Cheese
⅓ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Tablespoons Butter

Misc
¼ Cup White Miso Paste (check the refrigerator section of an Asian grocery)
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
¼ Cup Soy Glaze (soy sauce, mirin, sugar,water and corn starch)
2 Ounces Kalamata Olives
3 Ounces Dill Pickle Chips
½ Cup Mayonnaise
¾ Cup Barbecue Sauce
¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste


Extra ingredients meal suggestion
Left over Romaine, make salad lunch with Tabbouleh side leftovers. I added a can of tuna cooked up with Sesame Seeds, Soy sauce and Mirin.
Lots of leftovers with Sloppy Joes.

I'm trying to write these up because I refuse to believe that eating healthy is that  unattainable for the average working adult. Last week I was able to buy my entire list for under $50 once I crossed out all the ingredients I already had in the pantry. This week you can see it came out a little more. Thats still $30 each for two grown adults to eat well which is the price of one meal out for us. I did feel cost corners could have been cut by not making a meal with shrimp (9$), the Hawaiian Rolls for the Sloppy Joe recipe (indulgent!) and I bought potatoes/lemons/cheese in bulk quantities so I will have this in later weeks left over. I'm lucky to have a large spice collection and access to fresh herbs - but even so, I think you can simplify the recipes ingredient list to whats on sale and similar things you already have. If you don't like something, make a substitution. I've found these recipes are flexible! I don't go buy the fancy blends, I just wing it with the stuff I already have. I also think if you have to buy certain ingredients that are pricey, its ok, because you will continue to use cheeses and misc ingredients in future recipes.

After cooking notes: We added Chicken to the Za'atar Sprice Eggplant Pitas and it was delicious! I would recommend adding chicken to the Spaghetti dish too. The Sloppy Joe recipe makes a large amount of sandwich filler. We made 8 and had more to spare. Make it for a crowd or multiple meals! We also put it on sweet Hawaiian buns and used Jack Daniel BBQ. Really Yummy.

Comments

Popular Posts