What are we drinking (beer edition)? The good, the bad and the yummy!





The good: C picked up Gusto Crema, a coffee cream ale at Beer Junction that's made in Seattle and really liked it. The taste really surprised me of how much is tasted like coffee sodas you can pick up in Italian delis. Its very true to the flavor is advertises! I wouldn't drink it myself, but I enjoyed the sample of his beer! I suspect a trip to Georgetown to try more of their brews in our future! It personally makes me want to try Anheuser-Busch's Best damn root beers, I've seen popping up in grocery stores, but then I read all of the Beer-advocate reviews and was talked out of the urge and had a good laugh!!





The bad: I picked up Tank 7,  a farm house ale at the QFC while I trying to track down some fennel. Its kept in the cooler near the wine and some sours. While at the discription reminded me of a Paradox sour I tried recently (but haven't blogged about!!), on its sight the say it "begin[s] with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish." I had tried farmhouse ales from the Logsdon Farm Brewery Taproom, so I wanted to try this one on a whim. Lesson learned, I'm going to stick to my sours unless I can sample them in a brewpub first. This ale was too hoppy for me. I'm sure its not a bad beer, just not one I can stomach. I've set a only two open bottles in the fridge at a time rule, so I made myself drink it the other night and its not horrible - it just isn't as easy for me to swallow down. I don't really taste most of the flavors they described unfortunately (although everybody else on beer advocate seemed to!), but the 8.7% ABV did leave me tipsy.



 The yummy was my sour I bought from Beer Junction! It was one of their new arrivals (I LOVE that their facebook post pictures and descriptions of every new brew they receive!!) Its $6.99 a bottle at 4.5% ABV its not particularly strong, but I did love the smell and the weird tingle to my taste buds. Its brewed by Everybody's Brewing in Portland, OR and I'd buy it again! C liked it too. I think the only unfortunate thing is the name "Sprinkles" for such a complex taste - it just seems to simply being trying to appeal to women who don't know what to get. I mean I'd be a sucker for a cute label, the suggestion of hibiscus flowers (do I even know what those taste like?) and a casual fun name, but I feel sours might lead to disappointment if you don't expect that tart flavor. Since I love sours and low prices and cute marketing - well yeah it really hooked me.

Comments

Popular Posts