Rodenbach Brewery - Original vrs Grand Cru

So since my journey into the world of sour beers, I've been trying to learn the lingo to help me buy what I'm looking. Lambic, Farmhouse, Belgium Ale, Flemish red style - all these terms help hint me off that I will like this beer! Its not often they straight out label is "sour", perhaps it doesn't sit well with test audiences who've never had a taste. They often do brag of their fruit and tartness though. At the local Bevmo - the sales guy pointed me in the direction of Rodenback. Its one they normally keep in a fridge chilled and its not too expensive, around $10 for a bottle (it did come all the way for Belgium!).

Its great! It can be my default sour anytime there is nothing else available. 5.2%ABV makes me feel tingly. (I must be a light weight!)


At the local QFC, I found this in the chilled wine section and it is the Grand Cru version of their flemish red beer. The first is a blend of young and mature ale, and this one has less young ale in it! It definitely has more of a straight up sour taste and it a stronger (6%ABV) alcohol content. With both the same price, its nice to have two versions of the same great taste.

Comments

Popular Posts