Lopburi Monkey Temple

Friday the 10th

 We took a morning to enjoy Baan Thai Villa before leaving Ayutthai. The resort had free breakfasts, so we ate leisurely the spread of marmalade jam toast, these mini crepes filled with fruit or cheese spreads and a traditional Thai omelet and rice, which is just egg in the shape of an omelet and you add soy sauce. The coffee last night was better, but the conversation over it with the lovely breeze made it hard to leave the table. We got a couples massage with two chubby Thai grandmas. They had little English but were very welcoming and kind. We put on the purple one size fits all pajamas and they motioned for me to lay down. I asked “Should I lay on my belly?” and motioned to my stomach and they mistook me for saying I was pregnant which was comical. These two old ladies rubbing my belly and saying, “BABY?!” Thankfully I knew the Thai work for No (Mei Chai) and we got passed that and onto an amazing massage. I daydreamed about never leaving as they twisted me here and there.

At noon we had to check out and made our way to the train station. We traveled again third class to Lopburi, which is an hour North. Although we'd reserved a place, we had no idea how to get there and used a bicycle taxi to ferry each of us and our bags to the Windsor Resort Hotel. It was not a resort. We picked it because it had a quirky Dutch house theme and the idea of having our own cabin is appealing. The room had a neon playboy vibe and all the surfaces were easily washable.

 I declared it a sex hotel and spent the rest of the time there pointing out to Collin why (it had sexy lady art, a room service menu that allowed you to buy condoms, and a mysterious Thai language menu that I think had lady service pricing). After we regrouped and cooled off, we walked to town and had fun playing with the monkeys.
Get on our selfie level with the monkey!
The Lopburi Monkey Temple inhabitants are not afraid of humans and very eager to steal what they can. We found one monkey with a diamond hoop earring clutched in his paw.

Collin loved them piling on top of his large frame and became an encumbered photographer.



The monkey in this last picture jumped form him to me!
 
I, on the other hand, was a touch more weary and lost my glasses for a short moment. The groundskeeper Noi was really cool and hung out with us to help ward off monkeys. He lived in the little shack on the property and really cared about them. He laughed and referred to himself as a zookeeper of monkey, bats and tourist. He look us inside the ruins structure and showed us the sleeping bats and then invited us to come back at night to see the ruins with the flood lights. It was really amazing to see the monkeys up close and touch them.
 Noi also entertained us with stories of the monkey gang that inhabited a condemned theater next door. They break in and steal human belongings and get into turf wars with monkeys of the shrine. I'm sure meeting him will be a highlight of this trip.


We retired after eating a bunch of night market street food to our pervy plastic encased bed.

Comments

Popular Posts